Lions Clubs International
The social outreach programmes of the College are implemented mainly through Lions Clubs International. The Lions Clubs on campus are listed below (The first one is a Lions Club while the rest are Campus Lions Clubs):
1. Lions Club of Chennai Meenakshi
2. Lions Club of Chennai Albert Einstein
3. Lions Club of Chennai Darwin
4. Lions Club of Chennai Homi J Bhabha
5. Lions Club of Chennai Issac Newton
6. Lions Club of Chennai Kepler
7. Lions Club of Chennai KSL
8. Lions Club of Chennai Marie Curie
9. Lions Club of Chennai MCW I
10. Lions Club of Chennai MSW II
11. Lions Club of Chennai Thomas Alva Edison
12. Lions Club of Chennai Meenakshi Sundararajan
13. Lions Club of Chennai Ponnamma
14. Lions Club of Chennai Topaz
There are about 750 students and more than 65 faculty members who are part of these Campus Lions Clubs. They are actively involved in social outreach programmes and service projects all year round.
Service Activities of Lions Clubs
All the Lions Clubs on campus are very active and involve themselves in the several activities, chief among which are the following:
Free medical care is provided to the neighbourhood community through the KRS Medical Centre located in the campus. Needy people from the neighbourhood regularly use this facility. All medical services including medicines are provided free.
Students organize numerous health camps that are conducted at the Center for the neighbourhood community. They organize comprehensive medical check-ups and Diabetes detection camps.
The KRS Insulin Bank in Choolaimedu, located in the neighbourhood of Meenakshi College, distributes free insulin every week to those children suffering from Juvenile Diabetes and registered with the insulin bank.
Blood Donation Camps are organized at least twice a year on campus.
An Annual Mega Health Camp is conducted every year. This camp includes free general health check-up, screening for Diabetes, Dental check-up, Ayurvedic medicines and Eye check-up. Cataract surgery is done free of cost for anyone found to be requiring it, and spectacles prepared to fit their measurements are distributed free to them after a week. All services in the health camp are provided free. This health camp caters to the needs of the entire neighbourhood community and benefits about 700 needy people every year.